January 15, 2012

Costa Concordia: Cruise ship survivors found

Three survivors have been found on the stricken cruise ship Costa Concordia, more than 24 hours after it ran aground off the Italian coast.
Rescuers are trying to reach a third survivor, hours after a honeymooning South Korean couple were rescued.
Three people are so far confirmed dead and about 40 are unaccounted for.
The captain of the Costa Concordia has been arrested on suspicion of multiple homicide. Prosecutors say he left the ship before evacuation was complete.

First officer Ciro Ambrosio has also been detained.
The ship's operator, Costa Crociere, said the vessel had been following its regular course when it hit a submerged rock.
In a TV interview, ship's captain Francesco Schettino said the rock was not marked on any maritime charts.
Police are investigating why the accident happened in calm conditions.
The South Korean couple were located after rescuers heard voices from a cabin two decks down on the half-submerged ship late on Saturday. They were reached a few hours later.
The couple, both 29 years old, were both in good health when they were brought ashore.
Later on Sunday morning, rescuers located and spoke to the third person found inside the ship. Officials say he is a senior Italian member of the crew, and they believe he has a serious injury to his leg.
The BBC's Matthew Price, at the scene, says he can see two scuba divers trying to smash a window on the ship trying to get to someone inside.
Two French passengers and a Peruvian crew member died, and another 30 people were injured, two seriously.
Divers are continuing to search the ship, which is lying on its side near the Tuscan island of Giglio.
South Korean man is brought ashore after being rescued from Costa Concordia, 15 Jan 2012The South Korean man was brought ashore on a rescue boat, after being found with his wife
The president of Costa Cruises, Gianni Onorato, said the main task for the company was now to assist survivors and help repatriate them.
He said it was difficult to determine what had happened, but that the ship had experienced a blackout after hitting "a big rock".
Mr Onorato added: "We will be working in full transparency with Italian authorities" to understand the causes of the disaster.
He said normal lifeboat evacuation had become "almost impossible" because the ship had listed so quickly.
Francesco Schettino, the 52-year-old captain, had worked for Costa Cruises for 11 years.
The chief prosecutor in the city of Grosseto told reporters that Capt Schettino "very ineptly got close to Giglio", according to Italy's Ansa news agency.
Italian, German, French and British nationals were among the 3,200 passengers on board. There were also 1,000 crew.
On Sunday morning, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague told Sky News all the Britons - 23 passengers and 12 crew - were now safe and accounted for.
Coast guard captain Cosimo Nicastro told Italian TV that divers had carried out an extensive search of the waters near the vessel and found no further bodies.
On Saturday, survivors were taken to Porta San Stefano, about 25km (15 miles) away on the mainland.
The BBC's Alan Johnson at the scene says many arrived there still wrapped in blankets, and some were clearly very shaken by what they had endured.
Passenger Luciano Castro told Ansa news agency: "We heard a loud noise while we were at dinner as if the keel of the ship hit something."
"The ship started taking in water through the hole and began tilting."
The luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia lies on its side after running Giglio island, Italy, 14 JanuaryA big search-and-rescue operation continued overnight
Some passengers told the Associated Press news agency that the crew had failed to give instructions on how to evacuate the ship.
Several passengers compared the accident to the film Titanic, about the sinking of the giant ocean liner in April 1912 which claimed more than 1,500 lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment