December 29, 2011

Babysitter murder: Man quizzed over Chatherine Wynter death

A man arrested on suspicion of murdering a teenage babysitter will be questioned by detectives later.
Chatherine Wynter, known as Katie, was discovered by her mother on Tuesday. The 19-year-old was found stabbed at her sister's Borehamwood home in Herts.
An 18-year-old from Borehamwood is being questioned. A 26-year-old man from north London, who was also arrested, has since been released.
Hertfordshire Police said Miss Wynter had known the two arrested men.
She had been staying at the mid-terrace house in Beech Drive on Boxing Day night while the children's mother was away.
Police said the children, aged three and four, had been in the house at the time of the murder but had not been injured.
Specially-trained officers are expected to continue questioning them later, but the process is expected to take some time because of their young age.

Children's welfare
Officers arrested the 26-year-old suspect, from Islington, on Tuesday in connection with the investigation, but on Wednesday night released him without charge.
The 18-year-old man who was arrested on the same day remains in custody, police said.
Both were known to Miss Wynter and her sister.
Det Supt Michael Hanlon said police would not give any further details about their relationship, but they would come out "in due course".
It is not yet known how much the children saw or heard of what happened to their aunt, who regularly babysat them.
"Obviously the most important issue is the children's welfare," Mr Hanlon said.
In a statement, Miss Wynter's family said she was "a quiet girl who enjoyed life".

Police at the scene  
Police investigating the death have not yet found a weapon
"She was a loving auntie to her niece and nephew, who she was looking after on Boxing Day," they added.
Officers believe the teenager was attacked at some point between 19:00 GMT on Monday and 08:00 on Tuesday, when they were called to the mid-terrace property.
A post-mortem test confirmed that Miss Wynter, who also went by the surname Briscoe and lived elsewhere in Borehamwood, died as a result of stab injuries.

Mr Hanlon said no weapon had been found but a number of searches were taking place.
He said: "Firstly, our thoughts are with the victim's family.
"As you can imagine, this is an extremely traumatic time and they are being supported by specialist family liaison officers.
"We have a team of detectives currently working on the case who are looking at a number of lines of inquiry to establish exactly what happened.
"However, I would like to appeal to the communities of Borehamwood to help us."
It is not known where Miss Wynter's sister went on Monday night, but police said she had been staying locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment